Tuesday, August 18, 2009

too aware of the pending

my dad used to tell people all the time about his theory on deja vu. i don't remember what it is though - he stopped telling about it when i got old enough to realize what it was, and had moved on to another theory, about the passing of time. his theory was (is?) that the older you get, the faster time goes because your life is growing longer to fit it all in. for example, when you are 2 one year is fifty percent of your lifespan, but when you are 25 a year is 1/25th of your life span. obviously, i am very bad at explaining it but i am also a firm believer in it's truth.

i don't think i am the first person to observe how fast time flies, nor is my dad the first person to come up with a theory about it (or even the first person to come up with that theory, i'm sure.) but all the same, i can see my days, and weeks, and month, and years, just rushing by and i can't stop them, or slow them down. there are so many things i want to do, things i would love to do, but before i know it the clock says 11:30 or the calendar is at december and all my good intentions just stayed intentions.

i was talking to my aunt about this phenomenon the other day and she agreed, telling me about a professor she once had who told her that in ten years she would be ten year older no matter what she did, so why not make the most of it and make those ten years something she could be proud of. after our conversation, i resolved to do just that - make decisions about my life and follow through with them, so i can be proud and happy with what i've done when i look back ten years from now. but so far, all i have been able to do is think about how fast the time is going...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good for you. I am actually working on a bucket list right now. So far I have sky diving and ride in a hot air balloon.

Bonny said...

I was just talking about how fast time goes by with someone yesterday. Weird...

I try to make the most of my time, but the next thing I know... six months have gone by, and I'm still scrambling to do things worthwhile. Does that make sense?

Stacy said...

So true! I really liked this post!

DeGooyer Family said...

Hi Jenna! I love your blog. I had forgotten that you had one! You're a really good writer!!!